One of my favorite memories from living in San Francisco (also known affectionately as “the city”), is going to Philz coffee shop. I always got coffee with a little cream and sugar (gotta add the cream), and when they started offering breakfast I discovered the Philz bagel. Who knew that a good bagel with cucumber, cream cheese, pepper, and olive oil (it comes with tomatoes, but I always put them on hold), would be so amazing. So when we moved out of the bay area (bummer), and away from my favorite coffee shop I started making my own rendition from home.
Tips for making Philz Bagels:
- Whipped Cream Cheese works best – And add a ton of cream cheese, more than you normally would. I think the cucumber requires you to add a copious amount of cream cheese. I like my cream cheese with chives, but the plain works too.
- Add more Pepper than you would normally add – Put pepper on the cream cheese, and pepper again on the cucumbers. Don’t worry the cream cheese, bagel, and olive oil more than make up for the pepper.
- Get the best Olive Oil you can get – Olive oil is the key ingredient to making your Philz bagel taste amazing. I’m just don’t use the olive oil you use for cooking that comes in a big bottle, get a slightly better tasting one. A good way to test if you like the taste of your olive oil, is to eat it with just bread. If you dig your olive oil with bread alone then you are good to use it.
Technically you are supposed to add tomatoes and kosher salt, but I don’t like tomatoes so this picture does not show them. My wife likes tomatoes on them, so I will usually add a couple of slices for her’s.
- 1 bagel I'm up for the everything bagel as my choice here.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 4 tbsp Cream cheese Whipped is what I utilize in mine.
- 1/4 Tomato
- Toast your bagel.
- Wash, peel and slice your cucumber.
- Wash tomato and slice two slices.
- Smear the cream cheese all over the bagel,
- Grind black pepper over the cream cheese.
- Add your cut cucumbers to the bagel.
- Add (I douse) your bagel with olive oil along the cream cheese filling.
- Grind some more black pepper on the cucumbers.
- If you are adding tomatoes, you can add them on top of the cucumbers. Then add sprinkles of the kosher salt to the top of your tomatoes.
- Cut in half and have yourself a "thank you" breakfast!