Chicken and rice is a comfort food in Asian households around the world. KFC chicken and rice is also a comfort food in Asian households around the world. Around thirty years ago I ate at a KFC on an island in Indonesia that did not have McDonald’s yet. KFC was somehow able to expand to all parts of Asia before a lot of the big chains even had started, and since then it has always been one of my fast food favorites. KFC has both a taste I can’t forget, and amazing great memories that I don’t want to forget. In a way, KFC is nostalgic to me, and probably many others. In a way, I feel like this upcoming generation of kids won’t get to really experience that same feeling with KFC.
So…when I stumbled upon the KFC Japanese chicken and rice recipe, I got in my car and went and bought a bucket of KFC original recipe (though I always usually buy extra crispy). I was going to create this memory for my kids of Asian KFC in my own house if I had to. Thankfully this recipe is about as easy as it gets. Sub chicken broth for water, and add soy sauce and you are pretty much golden. I eat this with Ginger scallion sauce, my wife eats it with Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce, and my kids just eat this straight up. It is cool to see my kids ask for this version of KFC chicken, and the flavors (while not the same), are similar enough to my childhood memory that it is smile inducing.
Tips for cooking KFC Chicken and rice with Ginger scallion sauce
- Original recipe – You are going to be tempted to buy the extra crispy, don’t. You need that soft skin of the original recipe and the flavors embedded as well.
- Watch the soy sauce – If you want your chicken to be lighter then half the amount of soy sauce in the recipe. I’m ok with the rice begin darker, I think it tastes a bit better and my family is good with the shade.
- Serve with sauces – If you are going to eat this dish then serve it with Ginger scallion sauce, Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce, or hot sauce. Really any sauce is good, you just need a bit of something extra or else it can taste a bit one-note.
KFC Chicken and rice with Ginger scallion sauce
- Rice cooker
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 piece KFC Original Chicken thigh
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- Go and buy KFC original recipe chicken. I go with drums and thighs, but buy what you like to eat.
- Wash rice.
- Add 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Add chicken broth to your rice as if you were cooking the rice with water. Most rice cookers will have a line for the water for the amount of rice you put in. If not, you can add in 2 cups of chicken broth for 2 cups of rice too.
- Add Ginger scallion sauce and you are good to go!