The first time I made a Ginger and Green onion sauce I actually couldn’t believe how easy it was to make. The amount of joy and tasty awesomeness that you get for 10 minutes of work is exponential. All you need is ginger, green onions, salt, and vegetable oil. I have found that a pestle works well, but the back of a spoon is perfectly fine to smash the ingredients together too.
A lot of Ginger and Green onion recipes ask for a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, but that requires a whole lot of clean up. I don’t know about you but every time I see the words blender or food processor I almost instantly turn off. The thought of breaking out the blender just makes me tired. We have a pretty high bar for blender cleaning, we only break out the blender for a milkshake or the smoothy. However, if you are up to it, if you blend the ginger and green onion mixture together before you add the oil it will taste better.
This recipe is also known as Ginger and scallion sauce, but for me it is easier to find green onions so I just use them mostly.
Ginger and Green onion sauce
- Non-stick Pan
- Mortar and pestle
- 2 inches Ginger
- 5 stalks Green onion
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
- Peel and mince Ginger as small as you can.
- Wash and dice Green onions as small and thin as you can.
- Combine the Ginger and Green onions together in a bowl, and mash into smaller pieces with a mortar and pestle, or the back of a spoon. I use a wooden stick.
- Add a pinch of kosher salt to your mix, about half of 1/8 of kosher salt.
- In a pot or pan heat up 2 tbsp of vegetable oil on medium heat. When the oil is hot add it to your Ginger and Green onion mix. You should hear some crackling as the oil is combined with the Ginger and Green onions.
- Add another pinch of kosher salt to your mix, half of 1/8 of kosher salt. I then taste the mixture, and if I want it more salty I add another pinch of kosher salt.