I think the biggest difference between cooking at home and at a restaurant is the side dishes or variation in food. If we have go to a restaurant we always get a couple main dishes, and a couple of appetizers. When we eat at home there is usually only one main dish with meat and maybe a vegetable as well. This Microwave Steamed Egg is a quick and easy way to fancy up your dinner a bit more. Who wouldn’t want a steamed egg mixed with chicken broth and topped with some green onions. This type of steamed egg dish is common to get at Korean restaurants and Chinese restaurants, and is always quick to get eaten. If I get more than one bite that is amazing.
However I don’t really want to break out my steamer and steam up and egg. I’m already going to have to wash dishes for whatever main dish I cooked up, and the thought of another pot and 15 minutes is just not that exciting. What I can do is stir up an egg and chicken broth in a microwave safe bowl and zap it for 4-5 minutes. That I can do on the regular, and it is well worth it. Try this microwaved steamed egg next time you cook dinner and I’m pretty sure you will like it.
Tips for cooking Microwave Steamed Egg
- Half power on your microwave – Though you might have to look at your manual to figure out how to put your microwave on half power it is worth. If you put your microwave on full power when cooking the egg it will cook to fast.
- Make sure to stir up the eggs really well – You want the chicken broth and egg really mixed well together before you put it in the microwave.
- Easy on the salt – At first when I made this recipe I made the mistake of putting too much salt in the mix. Your steamed egg is super sensitive to salt so I would even make it with small amounts of salt first.
- Not that good cold – I make this dish last, as I want it hot when it is coming to the table.
What to eat with Steamed Egg
- Korean BBQ – I’m a big fan of Korean BBQ and steamed egg. It is the perfect compliment to all that meat.
- Beef and Broccoli – If you have any type of Chinese food then a steamed egg is always right at home. The only dish that I find it odd with is chow mein.
- Nikujaga – Savory and sweet Japanese beef and potato stew with a hot steamed egg is great.
I have adapted this recipe from Kirbiecravings, and she also has a good recipe for microwave steamed egg that is good.
Microwave Steamed Egg
- Microwave safe bowl
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Get Ingredients.
- Add one egg to a microwave safe bowl and mix it up good.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the egg and stir up again. Add your 1/16 tsp of salt and mix.
- Put a paper towel over the top of your bowl and put in the microwave.
- Microwave at half power for 7 minutes.
- If you want to add green onions to the top feel free to fancy it up.
Leave a Reply