If you are anything like the average person, the older you get the more out of shape you get. Then the more out of shape you get, the more health problems come your way. You get aches in weird areas, your blood pressure is a problem, and if you stretch too hard you risk getting a cramp. This brings me to my go-to recipe to get me back on track, after eating takeout, burgers, or pizza. This Mrs. Dash Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes recipe is perfect. It is quick, has 3-ingredients, and has almost no sodium! To top it off, you can make it in the Instant Pot. Sodium is a pretty big no-no for me, as it increases my blood pressure, so I try to cook with lower sodium if have the choice.
I was introduced to Mrs. Dash by a friend of mine that had already gone through the dreaded middle-age physical. You know the physical where they tell you that if you continue on your current trajectory you are on your way to XYZ health problems. My friend got his physical and immediately changed his habits drastically. He had high blood pressure so he went from an all-takeout menu to all cooking at home with zero to very little sodium. Sodium has a pretty big effect on my blood pressure, though your mileage may vary.
Why I cook with Mrs. Dash seasoning
Using my friend as my guide, after my dreaded physical, I adopted his same strategy. That is actually how and why I started cooking. So when I asked him for an alternative to salt for cooking, he recommended Mrs. Dash. Now if you are used to salt then Mrs. Dash is going to be a pretty big shock to your taste. It doesn’t taste like salt, is herb-based, but is a great salt substitute. I attribute a ton of my weight loss to finding a Mrs. Dash seasoning I thought was good. My personal favorite is the Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend by Mrs. Dash. I don’t think it is that spicy, but that’s what makes it easy to cook with. I have tasted a ton of Mrs. Dash spices but this is my favorite by far.
Tips for cooking Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- If you want firmer potatoes – Buy russet potatoes if you want your potatoes a bit firmer when you eat them. I just work with that I got at home. I just make sure to always have chicken thighs and potatoes at home so I can make this dish.
- Potatoes on top of the chicken – First you put the chicken in, then you put the potatoes in. If you put the potatoes in, they have this habit of getting through the rack and into the water below.
- Rice – Eat this with rice, otherwise it might feel not be enough for a meal for you. And if you are anything like me, that is a good recipe for late-night chip eating.
- Green onions – If you want to add a bit of color to your dish you can add Green onions. I’m not sure it affects the taste that much so I wouldn’t worry if you don’t have Green onions.
Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb Chicken thigh
- 2 Potatoes
- 2 tsp Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Get Ingredients
- Peel and cut your potatoes in thick chucks, about 1 inch by 1 inch.
- Put your instant pot on saute and pour 1 tbsp of olive oil in the pot.
- Add your chicken into the pot, and pour 1/2 tsp of Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning on top of the chicken. Cook for about 2 minutes, and then flip and put 1/2 tsp of Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning on the other side of the chicken. Cook for 2 minutes and the remove from the pot and onto a plate.
- Turn off your instant pot. Add 1 cup of water to the pot swirl around to get the food bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add your trivet to the pot.
- Add your browned chicken to the pot. Then add your cut potatoes on top of the chicken.
- Add 1 tsp of Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning on top of the potatoes.
- Close the lid, and makes sure the dial is turned to sealing. Put your instant pot on high pressure and cook for 8 minutes.
- When the cooking is over, then do a natural release for 10 minutes. When the 10 minutes is over then do a quick release by turning the top dial to the venting selection. Watch out the top could spout out hot water, common with the instant pot.
- Serve with rice!